We all have lemons at home, but most of us only ever use it for cooking. Some people, who are aware of its hair and skin benefits use it appositely, but largely everybody else remains oblivious to the many advantages of the essential fruit. Here, we discuss some unique hacks, with which the fruit can help make your life easier. Read on.
* Lemon is effective on any tough stain that comes up on your favourite fabric. Instead of panicking, squeeze a little bit of lemon juice on the fabric, and also add a pinch of salt. Let it stay on the stubborn stain for a few hours before you wash it off normally using a detergent powder. It is highly effective against curry stains, coffee and ketchup, to name a few.
Is your fridge smelling? Use lemons to fight the odour. The juice is highly helpful in getting rid of any fowl smell, so just soak a cotton ball in lemon juice and place it in the fridge. Alternatively, you can also place half-cut lemons to get rid of the smell.
* Lemons can also keep apples and other such cut fruit slices from turning brown. Just remember to squeeze a few drops of lemon in water, and then soak the apple slices in the solution to keep them fresh for long, so that when you finally sit down to eat them, you enjoy the taste.
* Lemon juice can also be used to whiten nails naturally. It often happens that any dark nail paint that you wear, leaves behind a dark hue that you struggle to get rid of. Just squeeze half a lemon into a bowl of lukewarm water, and then soak your nails in it for at least five minutes. Rub the peel of lemon on your nails before washing it off. In no time, you will see your nails becoming whiter.
* This should not come as a surprise to many, but using lemon juice can help you fight your dandruff naturally. Whenever you wash your hair, applying lemon juice on the scalp and allowing it to stay for 10 minutes before washing it off with an anti-dandruff shampoo can give you much relief over a period of time. Lemon juice is said to contain citric acid that can help chase away the dandruff from the roots of the follicles.
Most people think that the conditioner is only effective for the hair. That you must apply it on the strands and then keep it away for your next hair-wash session. But, the conditioner can serve more purposes than just that. In fact, there are some easy hacks which you need to know about, which are believed to make your life easier. Here are some interesting uses of your regular hair conditioner that you ought to know about.
* You can use the conditioner as a bath moisturiser. Especially if you have used a body scrub, or a bathing lather which created a lot of foam. In order to get back the natural moisture of the body, you can add a little bit of conditioner to your bath, just as you are getting done. In no time you will get a moisturised skin.
* The next thing you need to keep in mind is that since conditioners smell really nice, people like to use it to enhance the fragrance of their hair. But, the conditioner can also make your clothes smell great. You can make your own fabric softener and refresher. For this, you need to mix a little bit of conditioner with some water and put it in a spray bottle. Just shake the bottle so that the contents inside mix thoroughly, and then spritz it on the clothes from a distance. This works when you do not feel like washing your clothes but want them to smell fresh.
* Conditioners can also be used as shaving cream. The goal is to moisturise your skin and we have already explained how conditioners can make that happen.
* You can get soft cuticles for both your manicure and your pedicure session, if you apply just a little bit of the conditioner on the nails using a cotton swab. Massage the cuticles gently and they will get soft in no time.
* If your shower drain gets clogged for some reason, just pour a little amount of conditioner down it, to loosen the clog. You must follow it up by pouring a little bit of hot water down the drain to clear whatever has been clogging it.
* It is believed that you can even do your laundry using conditioners, especially if you have run out of laundry soap. Just put your clothes in a clean sink. Soak them in hot water and then pour a teaspoon of conditioner. Let the clothes stay like that in a foamy mix for half an hour, because you take them out, rinse and then dry.
Memory. Some of us claim to have poor ones, while others seem to remember everything. But is a strong memory really something innate? Or something we can work at?
Despite what many of us think, studies suggest the latter.
What’s more, there are proven ways to improve your memory skills and one of the most effective is by using a technique known as creating a “memory palace.”
The concept works as follows: When trying to remember, say, a shopping list, you need to visualise each item vividly in a place you know well, such as your living room.
So, if you need to buy eggs, you might imagine a hen laying eggs on your coffee table. Or if you’re out of orange juice, you might picture it splattered up the wall.
It is important to know about some quick hacks and tricks to make life simpler. There are many interesting things that you can do at home with everyday objects. These life hacks save you a lot of time and resources. Today, we discuss about some interesting uses of cotton balls.
* Did you know that cotton balls can act as substitute for your perfume bottle? In case you are stepping out and do not want to carry a bottle with you, just pour a few drops into a few cotton balls, and then put them in a zip pouch. Whenever you think you need a touch-up, just dab the cotton on the neck and under-arm, and you are good to go.
* In the same way, you can make any corner of your house smell blissfully serene. Just soak a few cotton balls in an essential oil of your choice, and place them in a bowl in a particular corner. You can also add a few drops of vanilla extract on the cotton ball and place it in your cupboard for your clothes to smell great all the time.
* Just like your perfume, you can also pack your makeup and carry it with you in a cotton ball. Wipe your favourite bronzer, blush, etc., on a cotton ball and put in a zip bag. Take it out whenever you think you need a touch-up.
* Cotton balls can also protect your feet from blisters. Place it in any area where you think your feet rub the most against the footwear. This will prevent blisters and even corns from coming up, or protect a particularly vulnerable portion of the skin.
* When you are storing your jewellery, or carrying it somewhere, give it the much-needed protection and cushion of cotton balls. This way, it will keep it from breaking.
* Also, you can extend the life of rubber gloves and stop them from ripping, by storing some cotton balls near the finger tips. This way the holes won’t come up soon.
* If you have spotted an ink stain on your shirt, remove it by soaking a cotton ball in alcohol solution and then applying it gently on the affected area.
Everyone knows turmeric is a highly-effective home ingredient that can take care of many health issues. Not only does it add colour to the food you cook, but it can also take care of your beauty problems. For instance, did you know you can use it to make your teeth whiter, despite it being powerfully yellow? Or that there are many DIY scrubs and pastes you can make at home which have turmeric as the primary ingredient? While it suits almost all skin types, turmeric powder is known to work highly efficiently on sensitive skin.
Here are some other interesting beauty hacks you ought to know about, involving the humble turmeric. Read on to find out.
* Most people who use foundation during their everyday makeup routine, or even otherwise, complain that they do not always find the shade that is closest to their natural skin colour. As a result, they have to settle for one that is lighter. This problem can easily be fixed by using turmeric. Just take some foundation and add some turmeric powder to it. Mix them well and apply it on the back of the hand to check the shade. Now blend it on the face; it will give you a natural golden glow. You can also use this hack to fix your BB cream, if you think it is necessary.
* As mentioned earlier, turmeric powder works best on acne-prone and sensitive skin. You can use it to remove the scars from the face and also to soothe the acne. There is no need for you to make an elaborate face pack though. Simply take half a teaspoon of turmeric powder and mix it with half a teaspoon of aloe vera gel. Apply this coat on the breakouts for instant relief. Doing this regularly can give you a smoother skin.
* And finally, with the monsoons almost over and winters around the corner, the lips are likely to get dry. You can take care of your chapped lips by simply using turmeric. The powder can be used to make a quick lip scrub. Simply mix a pinch of it with petroleum jelly, and exfoliate your lips to remove the dry skin. Wipe it off with a tissue and then apply a moisturizer. Do it every day.
Which hack did you like the best?
Coconut oil is a household staple, especially in India. In fact, it is difficult to imagine not having to use the oil on a regular basis. Mostly, people associate its usage with cooking and hair care, and some even use it for enhancing the beauty of the skin. But, there are many interesting uses and purposes of the oil, and you only need to know about it. Listed below are some unique life hacks; find out.
* Did you know that coconut oil can be used as an aftershave lotion? While some women use it after they have shaved their legs and arms, in an effort to moisturise the skin and treat any minor cuts and bruises, men can do the same after they have shaved their beard. If you suddenly realise there is no aftershave lotion in the house, worry not. Just rub a little bit of coconut oil on your face to make the skin feel smooth and glossy.
* The oil can be used to make a healthy, natural and home-made toothpaste. You can mix the oil with baking soda and a little bit of peppermint oil, too, to make the perfect toothpaste at home. It will keep your teeth and gums healthy.
* Given that is a great moisturiser, you can even use it to treat cuts and dryness in the paws of your pet. After all, they deserve to experience the goodness of the oil, too. Just massage the oil on their paws on a daily basis.
* If you want to add a shine to your old wooden furniture, you can do that as well, by rubbing coconut oil on the surface, and using a clean cotton cloth to gently wipe it clean. Your wooden furniture will begin to look new in no time.
* The oil has natural healing qualities. As such, you can use it to treat minor bug bites or mosquito bites. Just apply the oil on the skin to reduce the itchiness and the redness. Do it every time you feel uncomfortable, and you will notice that your skin will benefit greatly from it.
* You can also use it to remove makeup. Just wash your face with water, and then dab your face with a cotton pad soaked in cotton oil to gently remove your makeup before bed. It is a clean and effective process.
* You can also clean your makeup brushes using coconut oil. Just add a little bit of coconut oil to warm water, and soak the brushes overnight. In the morning they will look brand new.