- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 tablespoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup solid coconut oil
- 1-1/2 cups 2% milk
- Preheat oven to 450°. In a large bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, sugar, flaxseed and salt. Add coconut oil and cut in with a pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add milk; stir just until moistened.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead gently 8-10 times. Pat or roll dough to a rectangle 1/2 in. thick; fold dough into thirds (as you would a letter). Pat or roll dough again into a rectangle 1/2 in. thick; cut with a pizza cutter or knife into 24 biscuits, each about 2-1/2 in, square. Place 1 1/2 in. apart on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake until light brown, 8-10 minutes. Serve warm.
- Freeze option: Freeze cut biscuit dough on waxed paper-lined baking sheets until firm. Transfer to airtight containers; return to freezer. To use, bake biscuits as directed.
- Freeze option: Freeze cooled baked biscuits in airtight containers. To use, heat in a preheated 350° oven 15-20 minutes.
1 biscuit: 167 calories, 10g fat (8g saturated fat), 1mg cholesterol, 328mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.